"Well, he [Harry] has obviously been through a lot since book one, and book five was the book when he cracked up a little."
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
21 June 2003
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the fifth novel in the Harry Potter series. The book was published on June 21, 2003.
To Neil, Jessica and David, who make my world magical
Dr. Neil Murray is Jo's husband, Jessica, her daughter, and David, her son.
Book description Edit
There is a door at the end of a silent corridor. And it's haunting Harry Potter's dreams. Why else would he be waking in the middle of the night, screaming in terror? Harry has a lot on his mind for this, his fifth year at Hogwarts: a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with a personality like poisoned honey; a big surprise on the Gryffindor Quidditch team; and the looming terror of the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams. But all these things pale next to the growing threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, one that neither the magical government nor the authorities at Hogwarts can stop. As the grasp of darkness tightens, Harry must discover the true depth and strength of his friends, the importance of boundless loyalty, and the shocking price of unbearable sacrifice. His fate depends on them all. The book that took the world by storm. In his fifth year at Hogwarts, Harry faces challenges at every turn, from the dark threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and the unreliability of the government of the magical world to the rise of Ron Weasley as the Keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. Along the way he learns about the strength of his friends, the fierceness of his enemies, and the meaning of sacrifice.
List of Deaths Edit
|Character||Killed By||Cause Of Death||Circumstances|
|Luna Lovegood's Mother||Herself (accidentally)||Her own spell backfired||Luna Lovegood witnessed her death|
|Broderick Bode||Walden Macnair||Devil's Snare||St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries|
|Sirius Black||Bellatrix Lestrange||Falling through Veil from an unidentifiable spell||Battle of the Department of Mysteries|
|Winners||Defeated||Outcome||Place Fight/Duel happened|
|Harry Potter||Dementors||Dementors are repelled||Little Whinging|
|Albus Dumbledore||Cornelius Fudge, Kingsley Shacklebolt, John Dawlish and Dolores Umbridge||Dumbledore easily defeats all four of them and escapes||Headmaster's office|
|Rubeus Hagrid and Minerva McGonagall||Dolores Umbridge and helpers||Hagrid defeats all his attackers except Umbridge and escapes with a stunned Fang||Hogwarts grounds|
|Centaurs and Grawp||Dolores Umbridge||Umbridge is captured by centaurs||Forbidden Forest|
|Ginny Weasley, Ron Weasley, Luna Lovegood, and Neville Longbottom||Inquisitorial Squad||Squad is left in ruins||Umbridge's office|
|Death Eaters||Dumbledore's Army members at Ministry||Students forced to separate||Ministry of Magic|
|Antonin Dolohov||Harry, Neville, and Hermione||Hermione is nearly killed, Neville's nose and wand are broken|
|Death Eaters||Luna, Ron and Ginny||Ginny breaks her ankle, Ron is extremely confused|
|Harry and Luna||Luna is knocked out and the Death Eaters get in||Death Chamber|
|Order of the Phoenix||Death Eaters||Breaks down into single fights|
|Bellatrix Lestrange||Nymphadora Tonks||Tonks is nearly killed|
|Kingsley Shacklebolt||Two Death Eaters||Kingsley presumably won|
|Antonin Dolohov||Mad-Eye Moody||Moody is knocked out|
|Neville Longbottom and Harry Potter||Death Eater||Death Eater is knocked out|
|Harry Potter and Sirius Black||Antonin Dolohov||Harry and Sirius win|
|Remus Lupin||Lucius Malfoy||Remus presumably won as he is later unhurt and able to prevent Harry from running into the Veil of Death after Sirius|
|Albus Dumbledore||Death Eaters||Death Eaters are rounded up|
|Bellatrix Lestrange||Sirius Black||Bellatrix kills Sirius|
|Kingsley Shacklebolt||Bellatrix causes Kingsley great pain|
|Albus Dumbledore||Bellatrix escapes out of the room|
|Harry Potter||Bellatrix taunts him then Voldemort arrives||Atrium|
|Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter||Lord Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange||Voldemort and Bellatrix flee|
Behind the Scenes/Errors Edit
- In the chapter 6, a nest of dead puffskeins is discovered in 12 Grimmauld Place under a sofa. But, according to some information, it's impossible because the puffskeins are too big for going under a sofa, and making nests.
- The phone number to get into the Ministry of Magic is 62442 which can be used to spell "magic" on a mobile phone.
- When the group of students arrive at the Hog's Head for the first Dumbledore's Army meeting, Fred and George Weasley arrive last, but then Fred jumps to the front of the group to reach the barman first.
- Harry and Cho have a date on Valentine's Day to Hogsmeade, where the students are allowed to go on certain weekends. February 14, 1996 was a Wednesday, however. There should not have been a Hogsmeade visit on Valentine's Day.
- When Cho is talking about Quidditch to Harry, she says something like "Remember the first time we played together, in the third year?" However, Cho is one year older than Harry, and therefore could not have been in the same year. She however could have been referring to how it was their third year of playing Quidditch for their respective teams. Wood also mentions to Harry (during his third year) that Cho is "a fourth-year and... pretty good."
- When Umbridge is inspecting Snape and Harry's potion is ruined, Snape gives him a zero and an essay to write on what he did wrong. Harry then says that he had Quidditch practice, however just that morning Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four had been enforced and the Gryffindor Quidditch team had not been approved yet, although he hadn't realised that Quidditch teams were included in the Decree too.
- When Umbridge first puts Harry in detention she says at five o'clock, in her office. On the following day, when Harry goes to detention, the book says that he went to dinner before then, which means that dinner at Hogwarts starts at least at half past four, which is unlikely. However, dinner isn't always referred to as the 'last meal of the day.'
- When Harry meets the potential D.A. members in the Hog's Head, Dennis Creevey is present. He would have only been in second year at the time, however, and thus forbidden from coming to Hogsmeade. Dennis may have sneaked in against the rules, however.
- In an error unique to the U.S. audiobook editions of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, when Harry first arrives at 12 Grimmauld Place following his vision of the attack on Arthur Weasley, the line "Back again, the blood-traitor brats! Is it true their father's dying?" is rendered in the loud, screechy voice of Sirius Black's mother. Based on context clues, however, particularly the fact that this line is immediately followed by Sirius shouting "Out!" and Kreacher shuffling out of the room, it seems clear that it was actually Kreacher that uttered the insults and not Mrs. Black.
- When Malfoy joins the Inquisitorial Squad he docks points from Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ernie Macmillan. Not knowing that Malfoy is on the Inquisitorial Squad, Ernie says "It's only teachers who can dock points from houses," but in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Percy, as prefect, takes five points from Gryffindor, but he may have just been bluffing. (This was fixed in later editions - Ernie then says that only teachers can dock points from prefects.)
- It is the first book in the series to be released while the movies were being produced.
- In the book, classes begin the day after the Start-of-Term Feast. However, September 1, 1995 was on a Friday, which would mean that classes started on the weekend, which is unlikely.
- Early in the book, after the Dementors attack Dudley and Harry and they have returned to the Dursley home, Aunt Petunia mentions that Lily spent a lot of time with a boy that she (Petunia) disliked. Harry assumes that she is referring to James Potter, Lily's future husband; however, based on the information revealed in the final book, said boy may have been Severus Snape, a close friend of Lily's that lived close to them in childhood and whom Petunia despised.
Main page: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was released on Wednesday July 11, 2007. It was 2 hours and 18 minutes long and marked as one of the shortest Harry Potter film released, even though it is the longest book in the series.